History of the Richard A. Mautino Memorial Library

The City of Spring Valley has maintained a library and reading room since 1893. The enterprise had its origin by action of the Knights of Labor. They acted on one of their leading principles – that education is one of the most pressing needs of the workingman, and accordingly organized a library association with benefits free to all who reside within the Spring Valley city limits. The library was in the city hall until it moved in to the new Carnegie Library in 1912. Formerly the Spring Valley Public Library, the library was dedicated to the memory of the late State Representative Richard A. Mautino January 4, 1992. Mr. Mautino was appointed to the Spring Valley Library Board in August of 1966 and served until 1973. The library board felt this was a fitting way to honor all of Mr. Mautino’s accomplishments for the library and for the city of Spring Valley. Mr. Mautino passed away August 29, 1991. A paved parking lot was added to the west of the building, along with an elevator and handicapped restrooms in 2001. Thanks to the generosity of the members of the American Legion, Dominic O’Berto Post 182; a matching gift from an anonymous family; a bequest from the late Anna Schlitt; and donations from many individuals, businesses and organizations; the Veterans’ Wing to the library was completed in 2004. Additional funding for the project was provided from the Illinois State Library, a Division of the Office of the Secretary of State, Jesse White using Live & Learn Construction Funds. The donations combined with library savings funds made the addition possible without any tax increase to the community. The new addition nearly doubled the original Carnegie building and includes a children’s library and community room. It was dedicated, during the June 13, 2004 grand opening, as the Veteran’s Wing in honor of the American Legion and its members who got the project started with their donation, and in remembrance of all our veterans.